Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fuck getting old........

OK, kids, so it has come to my attention that I am officially getting old. I was talking to my partner last night, trying to explain to him why I did not think it was necessary to fight every person who offends you, at every turn, and it dawned on me that 12 years ago, when I was his age, I was the exact same - maybe a little worse. I was confrontational, I was angry about the injustices I saw in the world, and I was god-damned determined to do something about it. What the fuck happened to that guy? I thought about it for a long time last night and this morning, and I was wrong. I was wrong to tell him that we don't have to fight every person, every day. I was wrong to tell him that there were times and places where it would be safer to just not hold hands in public. Again, what the fuck happened to me? This was a big wake up for me - I am still just as angry as I was then, about all of the same things, but somewhere along the way, my sense of priority got fucked up. I cannot think of a better cause to fight for in this day and age than the freedom to love my partner, both in private and in public, without fear of attack or reprisal. If other people don't like it, or can't handle it, then fuck'em. That's their problem. So if you see us out and about, and we are not acting like a couple in public, call me on my bullshit!!

Later,
Groverat

No comments:

Post a Comment